The first book I ever fell in love with, second grade, was Winnie the Pooh. The first novel I fell in love with, fifth grade, was Esther Forbes’ Johnny Tremain. But the novel that made me fall in love with the art of wrting was Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, by way of Miss Stuart’s ninth grade English class.
Over the years, my favorite books and movies, the ones I read/see over and over again, include:
Too many books, not enough time.
- Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings
- Susanna Clark’s Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian
- Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian
- Donna Tartt’s The Secret History
- Dostoevsky’s The Brother’s Karamazov, The Idiot, and Demons
- Graham Greene’s The Power and the Glory
- the detective novels of P.D. James
- the short stories of Flannery O’Connor
- the Arthurian and Grail Romances
And then there’s the god of my bardolatry, Shakespeare.
Here are my blogs on books and publishing: